Enrollment Trends (including by Major)
APIR compiles annual enrollment trend data disaggregated by several topics for the annual Data Digest, pages 1-17.
Enrollment trends are available on the following topics: student level, gender, race/ethnicity, full-time/part-time status, tuition residency, and age.
An interactive Tableau visualization of enrollments, including enrollments by department, major, and certificate, is available here:
Enrollment by Course
For a list of the 100 Courses with the Largest Enrollments, by academic year, see the Course Analysis page.
Special Topics Related to Enrollment
APIR completes analyses related to course size, course and term outcomes, trends of enrollments in courses and majors, and assists with analysis for enrollment planning and forecasting. For term-specific enrollments, please see the Registrar’s Enrollment Reports from the Office of the Registrar.
- Enrollment of student veterans, August 2016
- 2014 Analysis of Undergraduate Course Access and “Bottlenecks”
- Issues related to Undergraduate Withdrawal from UW-Madison, October 2010
- A First Look at First-Generation College Students at UW-Madison, February 2008
Academic advising issues, including the assignment of advisors, advisor load, and institutional advising strategy, are related to institutional outcomes like retention/graduation, progress to degree, selection and sequencing of courses, and major selection. APIR provides analyses of these advising-related topics because of their connection to institutional strategic initiatives and goals and works closely with the Office of Undergraduate Advising and advising leadership groups.
- Persistence in Intended Majors for Recent Graduates (September 2017)
- Post SOAR Course and Credit Changes (April 2014)
- The Association Between First Semester Academic Load and First Semester GPA (March 2010)
- Advising Issues Analysis (June 2009)
General Education Analyses
See this page for analysis of patterns and trends in how students progress through general education competencies.