Department Planning Profiles provide summary information for every division and department – both academic and non-academic units.
Data trends are provided since 2011. Links to historical data are provided below.
Log into Department Planning Profiles here.
More than 300 metrics are provided across the following 8 topic areas:
Payroll – FTE and payroll dollar totals by employee category. For more detail, visit the Payroll interactive visualization
Faculty Roster Counts – FTE by rank and age group. For more detail, visit the Faculty Roster interactive visualization.
Credit Allocation – includes metrics in credits-follow-department (CFD) and credits-follow-instructor (CFI) formats. More detailed data: https://apir.wisc.edu/instruction/credit-analysis/
Student Enrollments – metrics on enrollment trends; enrollments in programs are assigned to the department that is the academic owner. For by major enrollments detail: https://apir.wisc.edu/students/
Degrees, Certificates – metrics on degree and other award trends; awards are assigned to the department that is the academic owner of the program. For by degree/certificate detail: https://apir.wisc.edu/students/
Budget – summary budget allocations by category and program. For more detail, visit the Budget interactive visualizations
Expenditures – summary expenditures by expenditure category and program.
Research Awards – total research awards, with federal and non-federal disaggregation.
Assignments of Academic Programs and Subjects to Departments – see the Academic Structure.
An interactive Tableau visualization for Department Planning Profiles is available here:
Department Planning Profiles is under ongoing development and evolution.
Direct questions and feedback on the visualization to Allison La Tarte at email@example.com.
FY 1990 through FY 2016
Access to the files is limited to UW-Madison employees and requires a NetID and password log in.
All Departments FY90-FY16
-MS-Excel 2013 format; uses slicers to filter the data for unit or metric of interest.
*Credit data for Spring 2016 is not included in the file due to a data inconsistency. Refer to the current version of Department Planning Profiles to obtain this information.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have trouble with file format or if you would like a previous version.
– A list of the UW-Madison academic (credit-generating) departments
– A list showing how each course Subject Listing is assigned to an academic department (UDDS)
– A list showing how each academic major program is assigned to an academic department (UDDS)
– A list showing academic departments and assigned academic programs and course subject listings
– A list showing the divisional affiliations of departments
– A list showing how historical trend lines are maintained for departments that moved into another school or college, and departments that either merged or split
– A list showing how some subdepartments have been consolidated and/or remapped into new UDDS values, for purposes of the department planning profiles
The Department Planning Profiles were originally developed in 1984 by the College of Letters & Science. In the late 1990s they were expanded to include departments in the other schools and colleges, as a result of a joint project between Academic Planning and Institutional Research, the Madison Budget Office, and the College of Letters and Science. Planning for this all-campus update started in 2013 as a collaboration of APIR, MBO and InfoAccess.