2016-17 Peer Comparisons – Based on the Association of American Universities Data Exchange (AAUDE)
Survey of Average Faculty Salaries by Department and By Professorial Rank
Includes information on average age of faculty, and salaries of newly hired faculty. Salaries for 12-month appointments are included, but have been converted to 9-month rates. Departments are matched across universities using the federal Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP).
NOTE: Confidential Information: Under the guidelines for participation in the AAU Data Exchange, information contained in this report pertaining to individual universities should not be disclosed to the general public or news media without first obtaining permission from the universities involved.
This information is confidential and available only to UW-Madison faculty and staff who have a valid reason for access: selected university administrators; deans and dean’s designees, department chairs, and department chair designees. The password were provided to deans and department chairs via email; users must connect using their netid and password.
If you have questions about the data, login information, or prior year reports, contact Margaret Harrigan.
- School/College Summary
- Department-level Summary
- College of Agricultural & Life Sciences
- School of Business
- School of Education
- College of Engineering
- School of Human Ecology
- Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
- Law School
- College of Letters & Science
- School of Medicine and Public Health (basic science departments only)
- School of Nursing
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Veterinary Medicine
- Division of Continuing Studies
- Departments at other AAU institutions NOT currently matched to any UW-Madison department — this could be a source of additional comparison departments at peer universities. Please contact Margaret Harrigan if you identify potential improvements in the definition of the comparison group for your unit.
Additional Supporting Documentation:
List of the CIP codes assigned to each UW-Madison department, in UDDS order
List of AAU universities participating in this year’s exchange of departmental salary information, also identifies UW-Madison’s official peers.