APIR is UW-Madison’s resource for faculty salary and compensation information. The office:
- produces reports (see below) that include faculty salaries by department (scatterplots and related data) and faculty salary peer comparisons at the institutional and department levels
- consults with senior university leaders, including the provost, chancellor, vice chancellor for finance and administration, faculty governance groups, the chief human resources officer, the vice provost for faculty and staff affairs, and others, to contextualize data
- performs analyses to inform decision making and to support policy development and policy review.
Faculty Salaries at UW-Madison
APIR provides faculty salary information to UW-Madison departments to assist in salary setting. Analyses are also conducted to support discussions among campus leaders and governance groups associated with policy development or review.
- Faculty Salaries by Department (Scatterplots) – The scatterplots are a graphical display of faculty salaries by department. The salary data is also provided. Access to this personnel information is restricted to deans, department chairs, and their designees.
- Compression of Faculty Salaries At UW-Madison – In 2009, APIR provided several analyses to the Faculty Compensation Commission in support of its study of salary compression.
- Analysis of the Impact of Pay Tools on Faculty Salaries, 2009-2014 – This report summarizes the impact on faculty salaries of five pay tools (high demand, increased promotion amounts, post-promotion market adjustments, compression-equity adjustments, and critical compensation fund).
Faculty Salary Peer Comparisons
- 2020-21 Comparison of Average Faculty Salaries at UW-Madison and Peer Universities – These comparisons are based on the Association of American University Professors (AAUP) annual Faculty Compensation Survey. Attached tables provide 2020-21 average salary figures and percentage increases in average salaries for UW-Madison and the universities in our official faculty salary peer group.
- 2019-20 Faculty Salaries at Peer Universities, by Department – For limited confidential use. Tabulations of average faculty salaries compared to peer universities. Access is restricted to deans, department chairs, and their designees.
Faculty Pay Equity
Starting in the early 1990’s UW-Madison established policies related to equity in relation to faculty salaries, first as it related to gender and more recently for all individuals. Visit the Office of the Provost web site for information about current policies and activities related to faculty salary equity, and other salary initiatives.
See also information at this site related to faculty compensation.
For historical context see also, 1997 Study of Gender Equity in Faculty Salaries and Report on the 2000-01 Faculty Gender Pay Equity Exercise at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.