DATE: October 16, 2013
TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2013-14
|Rebecca Blank (Chancellor)||Herbert Chen (Biological Sciences)|
|Martin Cadwallader (Graduate School)||LD Oakley (University Committee Appointee)|
|Laura A. Dunek (Associated Students of Madison)||Seth Blair (University Committee Appointee)|
|Jo Ellen Fair (University Committee Representative)||John Karl Scholz (Administrative Appointee)|
|Mark Seidenberg (Social Studies)||Ramon Aldag (University Committee Appointee)|
|Robert (Rob) Glenn Howard (Arts and Humanities)||Jeff Shokler (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Darryl Thelen (University Committee Appointee)||Mark Eriksson (Physical Sciences)|
FROM: Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. (Chair)
RE: THURSDAY OCTOBER 24, 2013 UAPC Meeting – 350 BASCOM HALL, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m
Your attendance is important. Please let me or Jocelyn Milner know if you will be late or absent.
1. Welcome, introductions, opening announcements.
2. Automatic Consent – Minutes of the September 19, 2013, meeting. UAPC Doc 2013.10.24.01
3. Automatic Consent – Establish a new Capstone Certificate in Leadership for Population Health Improvement, Department of Population Health Sciences, School of Medicine and Public Health. This action was approved at the September 13, 2013 Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (GFEC) meeting. This capstone certificate will be delivered on-line and will be established as a program-revenue program under the Educational Innovation guidelines. UAPC Doc 2013.10.24.02
4. Automatic Consent – Discontinue the MFA-Communication Arts, Department of Communication Arts, College of Letters & Sciences. This action was approved at the October 11, 2013 Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. UAPC Doc 2013.10.24.03
5. Automatic Consent – Reverse the name change of the Subject Listing ESL (code 350) back to ENGLISH; create a new Subject listing, English as a Second Language. This action is requested by the Department of English, College of Letters & Science. This action is consistent with the intent of the earlier actions to rename the Subject listing but ameliorates some unintended consequences of the renaming. UAPC Doc 2013.10.24.04
6. Approval – Establish a new Department of Emergency Medicine in the School of Medicine and Public Health. Presenters: Richard Moss, senior associate dean, SMPH; Azita Hamedani, Chair of the Division of Emergency Medicine in the Department of Medicine; Richard Page, chair of the Department of Medicine; Gordon Ridley, associate dean, SMPH; Amy Martens, outreach program manager, Department of Medicine. UAPC Doc 2013.10.24.05
7. Approval – Establish a new named option in the MBA General Management program, Option: Corporate Executive MBA, and approve the proposal to deliver the program at an off-campus location. The named option was approved at the October 11, 2013 GFEC meeting. Establishing an off-campus location for delivery of a degree program requires UAPC approval. This proposal will also require approval by the Higher Learning Commission. Presenter: Don Hausch, Associate Dean, School of Business. UAPC Doc 2013.10.24.06 and UAPC Doc 2013.10.24.07
8. Discussion – Changes to Minimum Requirements for Graduate Degree Requirements Related to Accreditation Requirements. Presenters: Wendy Crone, Associate Dean, Graduate School; Rob Howell, Professor of German and chair of the GFEC Sub-committee on Accreditation Issues. The Graduate School has developed new policy guidelines for master’s programs related to credit requirements, residency requirements, and course requirements that are in keeping with the assumed practices of the Higher Learning Committee. UAPC Doc 2013.10.24.08
9. Discussion – Program Review. Council will continue the discussion of program review initiated at the September meeting with a focus on programs that are past-due for review. UAPC Doc 2013.10.24.09
Meeting Schedule for 2013-14 (all meetings 3:30-5pm, 350 Bascom Hall)
November 21, December 19,
January 16, February 20, March 27 (4th Thursday),
April 17, May 8 (2nd Thursday),
June 23 (4th Monday).
Agenda materials and policy documents are posted at UAPC Meeting Dates and Deadlines for Submitting Material
Copies: Barbara Duerst, Tom Oliver, Vance Kepley, Caroline Levine, Don Hausch, Richard Moss, Richard Page, Azita Hamedani, Gordon Ridley, Amy Martens, Wendy Crone, Rob Howell
Deans: Lori Berquam, Robert Golden, Mark Markel, Katharyn May, François Ortalo-Magné, Guido Podesta, Margaret Raymond, Paul Robbins, Jeanette Roberts, Ian Robertson, Jeff Russell, Soyeon Shim, Kathryn VandenBosch, Julie Underwood
Also: Teresa Adams, Heather Daniels, Cathy Easter, Toni Good, Steve Hahn, Margaret Harrigan, Kelly Haslam, Clare Huhn, Phil Hull, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Sara Lazenby, Jennifer Martin (Grad School), Jocelyn Milner, Mo Noonan Bischof, Tim Norris, Stephanie Olivas (for Herbert Chen), Chris Olsen, Scott Owczarek, Andrea Poehling, Rebecca R. Ring (Admissions), Doug Rose, Patrick Sims, Wren Singer, Steve Stern, Beth Warner, Michelle Young.
Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, University of Wisconsin-Madison
150 Bascom Hall, 500 Lincoln Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53706
608.262.1304 Fax: 608.265.3324