DATE: November 14, 2013
TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2013-14
|Rebecca Blank (Chancellor)||Herbert Chen (Biological Sciences)|
|Martin Cadwallader (Graduate School)||LD Oakley (University Committee Appointee)|
|Laura A. Dunek (Associated Students of Madison)||Seth Blair (University Committee Appointee)|
|Jo Ellen Fair (University Committee Representative)||John Karl Scholz (Administrative Appointee)|
|Mark Seidenberg (Social Studies)||Ramon Aldag (University Committee Appointee)|
|Robert (Rob) Glenn Howard (Arts and Humanities)||Jeff Shokler (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Darryl Thelen (University Committee Appointee)||Mark Eriksson (Physical Sciences)|
FROM: Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. (Chair)
RE: THURSDAY NOVEMBER 21, 2013 UAPC Meeting – 350 BASCOM HALL, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m
Your attendance is important. Please let me or Jocelyn Milner know if you will be late or absent.
1. Welcome, introductions, opening announcements.
2. Automatic Consent – Minutes of the October 24, 2013, meeting. UAPC Doc 2013.11.21.01
3. Automatic Consent – Discontinue the Graduate Certificate in Technical Communications, College of Engineering. The College of Engineering will support the teach-out of two students currently in the program. (The undergraduate-level Certificate in Technical Communications will continue. For reference, the program review was due in 2012-13 and is underway; this discontinuation proposal is in part a result of review activity.) The proposal was considered at the November 8, 2013 Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. UAPC Doc 2013.11.21.02
4. Approval – Merger of the Department of Liberal Studies and the Arts and the Department of Professional Development and Applied Studies into the Department of Liberal Arts and Applied Studies, Division of Continuing Studies. Presenters: Jeff Russell, dean of Continuing Studies; Narra Cox, chair of both the Department of Liberal Studies and the Arts and the Department of Professional Development and Applied Studies. UAPC Doc 2013.11.21.03
5. Approval – Suspend Admissions to the International Studies major named option: Global Commons/Global Environment, College of Letters and Science. Presenters: Karl Scholz, dean of the College of Letters and Science; Richard Keller, chair of the International Studies major. (Other options in the International Studies major will remain open. For reference, the International Studies major was due for program review in 2009-10 and the review is ongoing.) UAPC Doc 2013.11.21.04
6. Approval – Notice of Intent for a Doctor of Occupational Therapy, Department of Kinesiology, School of Education. Presenters: David Rosenthal, associate dean, School of Education; Dorothy Edwards, chair of Kinesiology, Ruth Benedict, associate professor of Kinesiology. This proposal was also reviewed at the November 8, 2013 Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. Because it is a proposal for a new program, it also comes to the UAPC for action. UAPC Doc 2013.11.21.05 NOTE ADDED AFTER AGENDA DISTRIBUTED: This item was withdrawn after the agenda was distributed because the presenters wanted time for an additional revision; it will be scheduled for a subsequent meeting.
7. Discussion – Program Review. Council will continue the discussion of program review initiated at the September meeting with a focus on programs that are past-due for review. UAPC Doc 2013.11.21.06
Meeting Schedule for 2013-14 (all meetings 3:30-5pm, 350 Bascom Hall)
December 19, January 16, February 20, March 27 (4th Thursday), April 17, May 8 (2nd Thursday), June 23 (4th Monday).
Agenda materials and policy documents are posted at UAPC Meeting Dates and Deadlines for Submitting Material
Copies: Narra Cox, Richard Keller, David Rosenthal, Dorothy Edwards, Ruth Benedict
Deans: Lori Berquam, Robert Golden, Mark Markel, Katharyn May, François Ortalo-Magné, Guido Podesta, Margaret Raymond, Paul Robbins, Jeanette Roberts, Ian Robertson, Jeff Russell, Soyeon Shim, Kathryn VandenBosch, Julie Underwood
Also: Teresa Adams, Heather Daniels, Cathy Easter, Toni Good, Steve Hahn, Margaret Harrigan, Kelly Haslam, Clare Huhn, Phil Hull, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Sara Lazenby, Jennifer Martin (Grad School), Jocelyn Milner, Mo Noonan Bischof, Tim Norris, Stephanie Olivas (for Herbert Chen), Chris Olsen, Scott Owczarek, Andrea Poehling, Rebecca R. Ring (Admissions), Doug Rose, Patrick Sims, Wren Singer, Steve Stern, Beth Warner, Michelle Young.