DATE: November 10, 2011
TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2011-12
|David Ward (Chancellor)||Ron Kalil (Biological Sciences)|
|Martin Cadwallader (Graduate School)||LD Oakley (University Committee Appointee)|
|Laura Dunek (Associated Students of Madison)||Ken Potter (University Committee Appointee)|
|Linda Graham (University Committee Representative)||Gary Sandefur (Administrative Appointee)|
|Gary Green (Social Sciences)||Dan Schaefer (University Committee Appointee)|
|Stephen Hilyard (Arts and Humanities)||Jim Steele (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Jacquie Hitchon (University Committee Appointee)||Richard Straub (Physical Sciences)|
FROM: Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. (Chair)
RE: Thursday November 17, 2011 UAPC Meeting – 350 BASCOM HALL, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
1.Welcome and introductions.
2. Information Item – Overview Chart of Academic Approvals. This chart is useful reference guide to what actions are taken by the UAPC for different kinds of proposals such as those we will consider at this meeting, and what actions are taken by other governance groups. UAPC Doc 2011.11.17.01
3. Automatic Consent – Minutes of the September 15, 2011 meeting. UAPC Doc 2011.11.17.02
4. Automatic Consent – Rename the Eye Research Institute to the McPherson Eye Research Institute. School of Medicine and Public Health. UAPC Doc 2011.11.17.03
5. Automatic Consent – Discontinue the MS-Education and Math. This action was approved at the October Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. UAPC Doc 201111.17.04
6. Automatic Consent – Discontinue the MS-Science Education. This action was approved at the October Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. UAPC Doc 2011.11.17.05
7. Automatic Consent – Graduate Certificate for Transdisciplinary Study of Visual Cultures, housed within the Center for Visual Cultures, College of Letters and Science. This action is placed on the agenda pending approval at the November Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. UAPC Doc 2011.11.17.06
8. Approval Item – Proposal for new policy related to regalia for Bachelor’s degree recipients designated “Graduate with Distinction”. Presenter: Joanne Berg, Vice Provost for Enrollment Management. UAPC Doc 2011.11.17.07
9. Discussion –
– Proposal to suspend admissions to the undergraduate degree/major BS-Family, Consumer and Community Education.
– Proposal to suspend admissions to the undergraduate degree/major BS-Consumer Affairs.
Both programs are in the School of Human Ecology. Presenters: Robin Douthitt, dean of the School of Human Ecology, Wendy Way, associate dean of Human Ecology. In keeping with UAPC practice, the suspension would be for no more than three years, by which time the program will be required to present a proposal to discontinue or reopen the program. Not all of the materials are available to send you so this will be a discussion that will help us prepare for a decision at a later meeting. UAPC Doc 2011.11.17.08
10. Discussion – Proposal to suspend admissions to the undergraduate Secondary Education Teacher Preparation programs in the School of Education. Presenters: Alan Lockwood, professor of Curriculum and Instruction; John Rudolph, chair of Curriculum and Instruction; Cheryl Hanley-Maxwell, associate dean, School of Education; Jeff Hamm, associate dean, School of Education. In keeping with UAPC practice, the suspension would be for no more than three years, by which time the program will be required to present a proposal to discontinue or reopen the program. Similarly to Item 9, not all of the materials are available at this time so this will be a discussion that will help us prepare for a decision at a later meeting. UAPC Doc 2011.11.17.09
Copies: Wendy Way, Alan Lockwood, Cheryl Hanley-Maxwell, Jeff Hamm, Brad Zulick, John Rudolf, Joey Anderson-Lubasi
Academic Deans and Directors: Lori Berquam, Gilles Bousquet, Daryl Buss, Robin Douthitt, Robert Golden, François Ortalo-Magné, Katharyn May, Gregg Mitman, Paul Peercy, Margaret Raymond, Jeanette Roberts, Jeff Russell, Bill Tracy, Julie Underwood
Also: Teresa Adams, Bruce Beck, Joanne Berg, Aaron Brower, Toni Good, Karen Hanson, Margaret Harrigan, Kelly Haslam, Clare Huhn, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Sara Lazenby, Kathleen Matthews-Risley, Jocelyn Milner, David Musolf, Tim Norris, Scott Owczarek, Andrea Poehling, Doug Rose, Donna Silver, Steve Stern, Damon Williams
Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
150 Bascom Hall University of Wisconsin-Madison 500 Lincoln Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53706
608.262.1304 Fax: 608.265.3324