DATE: May 1, 2014
TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2013-14
|Rebecca Blank (Chancellor)||Herbert Chen (Biological Sciences)|
|Martin Cadwallader (Graduate School)||LD Oakley (University Committee Appointee)|
|Laura Dunek (Associated Students of Madison)||Seth Blair (University Committee Appointee)|
|Jo Ellen Fair (University Committee Representative)||John Karl Scholz (Administrative Appointee)|
|Mark Seidenberg (Social Studies)||Ramon Aldag (University Committee Appointee)|
|Robert (Rob) Glenn Howard (Arts and Humanities)||Jeff Shokler (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Darryl Thelen (University Committee Appointee)||Mark Eriksson (Physical Sciences)|
FROM: Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. (Chair)
RE: THURSDAY May 8, 2014 UAPC Meeting – 350 BASCOM HALL, 2:30 – 4:00pm
Your attendance is important. Please let me or Jocelyn Milner know if you will be late or absent.
- Welcome, introductions, opening announcements.
- Automatic Consent – Minutes of the April 17, 2014, meeting.UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.01
- Automatic Consent – Establish a new named option in the Master of Engineering degree, Civil and Environmental Engineering major, named option: Environmental Engineering.The program will be housed in Engineering Professional Development, College of Engineering. The program will be offered as a distance-delivered on-line program and is structured as a program-revenue program under the Educational Innovation guidelines. This proposal is being considered at the May 2, 2014, Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.02
- Automatic Consent – Close the Synchrotron Radiation Center, Graduate School. UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.03
- Automatic Consent – Establish a Certificate in the Public Humanities, at the graduate/professional level. Center for the Humanities, College of Letters and Science. This proposal is being considered at the May 2, 2014, Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.04
- Automatic Consent – Discontinue the offering of the MS/PhD in Endocrinology-Reproductive Physiology in the College of Letters & Science. It will continue to be offered within the School of Medicine and Public Health and the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences. This proposal is being considered at the May 2, 2014, Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.05
- Suspend Admissions to the undergraduate-level certificate, Certificate in Global Cultures, College of Letters and Science. The suspension is to be effective for Spring 2015 semester and the International Studies major steering committee will advance a proposal to discontinue or reopen the certificate; that proposal is to be provided to APIR by March 1, 2017. Presenters: Maria Cancian, associate dean, College of Letters and Science; Jo Ellen Fair, faculty representative of the International Studies Major. UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.06
- Rename BS Interior Design to BS Interior Architecture, Department of Design Studies, School of Human Ecology. Presenter: Wendy Way, associate dean, School of Human Ecology. (The School of Human Ecology is up to date on all program reviews and has no low-enrollment programs.) UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.07
- Rename BS Textile and Apparel Design to BS Textiles and Fashion Design, Department of Design Studies, School of Human Ecology. Presenter: Wendy Way, associate dean, School of Human Ecology. UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.07
- Rename the internal department, Department of Interdisciplinary Studies in Human Ecology to Department of Civil Society and Community Studies (CSCS), in the School of Human Ecology. Presenter: Wendy Way, associate dean, School of Human Ecology. UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.07 , UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.07.Addendum (The addendum was added after distribution of materials to Council.)
- Establish a new course Subject listing, Civil Society and Community Studies, associated with the renamed Department of Civil Society and Community Studies, School of Human Ecology. Presenter: Wendy Way, associate dean, School of Human Ecology. UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.07
- Trends in Certificate Programs. Presenter: Jocelyn Milner, director of Academic Planning and Institutional Research. Following up on the discussion at the March and April UAPC meetings, there will be a review and discussion of trends related to certificate programs. We will consider questions raised at the earlier meetings including questions about proliferation of certificates, time-to-degree concerns, trends in multiple awards, low enrollment certificates, and overlap among certificate programs. UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.08
- Annual Report on Student Learning Assessment. Presenter: Mo Noonan Bischof, associate vice provost and co-chair of the University Council on Academic Affairs and Assessment (UCAAA). The report will be distributed at the meeting.
- Annual Report on Undergraduate General Education. Presenter: Elaine Klein, assistant dean, Letters & Science, and chair of the Undergraduate General Education Committee. UAPC Doc 2014.05.08.09
NEXT MEETING – June 23, 2014 (4th Monday), 3:30-5:00 pm, 350 Bascom Hall
Meeting Schedule for Fall 2014, 3:30-5:00 pm : September 18, October 16, November 20, December 18
Agenda materials and policy documents are posted at UAPC Meeting Dates and Deadlines for Submitting Material
Copies: Steve Ackerman, Wendy Way, Maria Cancian
Deans: Lori Berquam, Robert Golden, Mark Markel, Katharyn May, François Ortalo-Magné, Guido Podesta, Margaret Raymond, Paul Robbins, Jeanette Roberts, Ian Robertson, Jeff Russell, Soyeon Shim, Kathryn VandenBosch, Julie Underwood
Also: Teresa Adams, Heather Daniels, Cathie Easter, Toni Good, Steve Hahn, Margaret Harrigan, Kelly Haslam, Clare Huhn, William Heiss, Phil Hull, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Sara Lazenby, Jennifer Martin (Grad School), Jocelyn Milner, Mo Noonan Bischof, Tim Norris, Stephanie Olivas (for Herbert Chen), Chris Olsen, Scott Owczarek, Rebecca Ring (Admissions), Doug Rose, Patrick Sims, Wren Singer, Steve Stern, Beth Warner, Michelle Young.