DATE: May 12, 2011
TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2010-11
|Biddy Martin (Chancellor)||Jacquie Hitchon (University Committee Appointee)|
|Susan Babcock (University Committee Representative)||Ron Kalil (Biological Sciences)|
|Martin Cadwallader (Graduate School)||Erik Paulson (Associated Students of Madison)|
|Chris DeMarco (Physical Sciences)||Ken Potter (University Committee Appointee)|
|Lisa Forrest (University Committee Appointee)||Mary Ray (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Gary Green (Social Sciences)||Gary Sandefur (Administrative Appointee)|
|Jon McKenzie (Arts and Humanities)||Dan Schaefer (University Committee Appointee)|
FROM: Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. (Chair)
RE: Thursday May 19, 2011 UAPC Meeting – 350 BASCOM HALL, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
1. Automatic Consent – Minutes of the April 21, 2011 meeting. UAPC Doc 2011.05.19.01.
2. Automatic Consent – Discontinue the MBA in Business: International Business. This proposal was approved at the April 29, 2011 GFEC meeting. UAPC Doc 2011.05.19.02.
3. Automatic Consent – Move the academic home of the Certificate in Prevention and Intervention Science (graduate level) from the College of Letters and Science to the School of Nursing. The home of the PhD Minor in Prevention and Intervention Science will also be moved. This proposal was approved at the April 29, 2011 GFEC meeting. UAPC Doc 2011.05.19.03.
4. Automatic Consent – Extend the Certificate in Prevention and Intervention Science to all professional students in the School of Medicine and Public Health (MED career). Currently the certificate is available to all graduate students on campus (GRAD career), but not to students in professional programs (MD, Physician Assistant, Public Health, Physical Therapy). This proposal was approved at the April 29, 2011 GFEC meeting. UAPC Doc 2011.05.19.03.
5. Approval Item – Certificate in Scandinavian Studies, for undergraduates, to be housed in the Department of Scandinavian Studies, College of Letters and Science. Presenters: Kirsten Wolf, professor and chair of Scandinavian Studies; Gary Sandefur, dean, College of Letters and Science. UAPC Doc 2011.05.19.04.
6. Approval Item – Certificate in Global Health, for undergraduates, to be housed in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences. Presenters: Sherry Tanumihardjo, professor of Nutritional Sciences; Dan Schaefer, associate dean of the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences; John Ferrick, assistant dean for International Programs in CALS; Lori DiPrete Brown, associate director of the Center for Global Health. UAPC Doc 2011.05.19.05.
7. Approval Item – Suspend admissions to the undergraduate major Medical Microbiology and Immunology beginning Fall 2012. Presenters: Rod Welch, professor and chair of Medical Microbiology and Immunology; Robert N. Golden, dean of the School of Medicine and Public Health; Gary Sandefur, dean, College of Letters and Science. This major is formally offered as an undergraduate major in L&S through a SMPH department so both L&S and SMPH have been involved in this proposal. UAPC Doc 2011.05.19.06.
8. Approval Item – Dual Degree in Law (JD) and the PhD in Neuroscience. Presenters: Ron Kalil, professor of Opthalmology & Visual Sciences; Robert N. Golden, dean of the School of Medicine and Public Health; Pilar Ossorio, professor of Law. UAPC Doc 2011.05.19.07.
9. Policy Discussion – Guidelines for Academic Program Collaborations with International Universities. Presenter: Jocelyn Milner, director of Academic Planning and Analysis. These guidelines were developed with and vetted by a large working group of faculty and administrators that was convened in January 2010 by Gilles Bousquet, Dean of International Studies and Programs. These materials were distributed with the June 2010 and January 2011 UAPC agendas. We will discuss the guidelines and, if we are ready to do so, I will entertain a motion to adopt them. UAPC Doc 2011.05.19.08.
Copies: Susan Riesch, Carol Aspinwall, Kirsten Wolf, Sherry Tanumihardjo, John Ferrick, Lori DiPrete Brown, Rod Welch, Tracy Wiklund, Rick Moss, Pilar Ossorio, Jamie Edge, Tracy Cabot, Heinz Klug
Academic Deans and Directors: Lori Berquam, Gilles Bousquet, Daryl Buss, Jim Campbell, Kenneth Davis, Robin Douthitt, Robert Golden, Katharyn May, Gregg Mitman, Paul Peercy, Jeanette Roberts, Joan Schmit, Bill Tracy, Julie Underwood
Also: Teresa Adams, Bruce Beck, Joanne Berg, Aaron Brower, Toni Good, Karen Hanson, Margaret Harrigan, Kelly Haslam, Clare Huhn, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Sara Lazenby, Kathleen Matthews-Risley, Jocelyn Milner, David Musolf, Tim Norris, Scott Owczarek, Andrea Poehling, Doug Rose, Donna Silver, Steve Stern, Damon Williams
Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Wisconsin-Madison
150 Bascom Hall 500 Lincoln Drive Madison, WI 53706
608.262.1304 FAX: 608.265.3324