DATE: March 9, 2016
TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2015-16
|Rebecca Blank (Chancellor)||Cathy Middlecamp (Physical Sciences)|
|William Karpus (Graduate School)||Dennis Miller (Arts and Humanities)|
|John Karl Scholz (Administrative Appointee)||Mark Seidenberg (Social Studies)|
|Ramon Aldag (University Committee Appointee)||Debra Shapiro (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Seth Blair (University Committee Appointee)||James Skinner (University Committee Appointee)|
|Dorothy Farrar-Edwards (University Committee Appointee)||Darryl Thelen (University Committee Appointee)|
|Ed Jackson (Biological Sciences)||Kate Wiedel (Associated Students of Madison)|
|Isaac Lee (University Staff Appointee)|
FROM: Sarah C. Mangelsdorf (Chair)
RE: THURSDAY, March 17, 2016 UAPC Meeting – 52 BASCOM HALL, 3:30-5:00 pm
Your attendance is important. Please let me or Jocelyn Milner know if you will be late or absent.
- Welcome, introductions, opening announcements.
- Automatic Consent – Minutes of the January 21, 2016 meeting. UAPC Doc 2016.03.17.01
- Discontinue the named option Quantitative Finance associated with the M.S. in Business: Finance, Investment and Banking, School of Business. Admission to the option was suspended in Spring 2013. There are currently no students enrolled in the option. This action was approved at the February 12, 2016, Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (GFEC) meeting. This action is effective Spring 2016. UAPC Doc 2016.03.17.02
- Proposal to discontinue three named options associated with the degree/major Kinesiology, Department of Kinesiology, School of Education. The options to be discontinued effective Spring 2016 are Exercise Specialist/Science, Exercise Physiology, and Movement Science. UAPC Doc 2016.03.17.03
- Approve three changes to the undergraduate certificate in Japanese Studies for Engineers:
- Change the name of the undergraduate Certificate in Japanese Studies for Engineers to Certificate in Technical Japanese Studies for Undergraduates.
- Allow all UW-Madison undergraduates to enroll in the certificate. The certificate is currently only available to undergraduates in the College of Engineering.
- Reduce the number of required credits for the certificate from 27 to 18.
Presenters: Jim Davis, professor and director, Technical Japanese Program; Jake Blanchard, executive associate dean, School of Engineering. UAPC Doc 2016.03.17.04
- The Law School is proposing several changes to conform with campus policy and practice:
- Change the “award level” of certain degree/majors in the Law School so that the programs are better aligned with other programs with similar features, effective summer 2016: change the award level for the Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD) from professional (“P”) to doctoral (“D”); change the Master of Laws (LLM) and Master of Laws-Legal Institutions (LLM-LI) from professional (“P”) to masters (“M”).
- Rename the named option “CHINA” to “ECUPL,” associated with the Master of Laws-Legal Institutions (plan code LLM607LAW), effective Summer 2016 for all new and continuing students.
- Extend the named options DOSHI, THAMM, and ECUPL, associated with the Master of Laws-Legal Institutions, to also be used for Law Special students (plan code LAWS000) effective Summer 2016 for all new and continuing students.
Presenter: Kevin Kelly, associate dean, Law School. UAPC Doc 2016.03.17.05
- Approve the Notice of Intent for PhD/MS Biomedical Data Science, Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, School of Medicine and Public Health. This action is conditional upon approval at the March 11, 2016, Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (GFEC) meeting. Presenters: Paul Rathouz, Professor and Chair, Biostatistics and Medical Informatics; Karl Broman, Professor and Program Lead, Whitney Sweeney, Student Services Coordinator; Rick Moss, associate dean, School of Medicine and Public Health. UAPC Doc 2016.03.17.06
- Establish a Certificate in Foundations of Farm Management, Farm and Industry Short Course, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences. This program will be a non-pooled tuition program. The first term for enrollment will be Fall 2017. Presenters: Sarah Pfatteicher, associate dean, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences; Jessie Potterton, director, Farm and Industry Short Course Program. UAPC Doc 2016.03.17.07
- Create subject listing Integrated Arts, Arts Institute, School of Education. This action is effective Fall 2016. Presenters: Norma Saldivar, Interim Executive Director, Arts Institute; Jeff Hamm, Associate Dean, School of Education. UAPC Doc 2016.03.17.08
- Approve the Notice of Intent for BS-Education Studies, Education Policy Studies, School of Education. Presenters: Adam Nelson, professor, Education Policy Studies; Jeff Hamm, associate dean, School of Education. UAPC Doc 2016.03.17.09
- Approve the Policy on Minimum Qualifications for Instructional Staff. Presenter: Michael Bernard-Donals, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff. UAPC Doc 2016.03.17.10
- Proposed Policy Guidelines for Named Options within Academic Majors. Presenter: Jocelyn Milner, vice provost, Academic Planning and Institutional Research. UAPC Doc 2016.03.17.11
Meeting Schedule for 2015-16, 3:30-5:00 pm:
April 21, May 19, and June 16, 2016
Agenda materials and policy documents are posted at UAPC Meeting Dates and Deadlines for Submitting Material
Copies: Jake Blanchard, Karl Broman, Jim Davis, Jeff Hamm, Kevin Kelly, Adam Nelson, Sarah Pfatteicher, Andrea Poehling, Jessie Potterton, Rick Moss, Paul Rathouz, Norma Saldivar, Whitney Sweeney
Deans: Lori Berquam, Robert Golden, Diana Hess, Mark Markel, Katharyn May, François Ortalo-Magné, Guido Podestá, Margaret Raymond, Paul Robbins, Ian Robertson, Jeff Russell, Norma Saldivar, Soyeon Shim, Steve Swanson, Kathryn VandenBosch
Also: Teresa Adams, Jeff Armstrong, Michael Bernard-Donals, Suzanne Broadberry, Steve Cramer, Heather Daniels, Emily Dickmann, Elizabeth Fredericks, Toni Good, Marty Gustafson, Steve Hahn, Margaret Harrigan, Clare Huhn, Phil Hull, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Sarah Kuba, Sara Lazenby, John Lease, Marsha Mailick, Jennifer Martin, Jocelyn Milner, Mo Noonan Bischof, Tim Norris, Scott Owczarek, Laura Rader, Rebecca Ring, Patrick Sims, Steve Smith, Beth Warner