DATE: June 17, 2013
TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2012-13
|David Ward (Chancellor)||Ron Kalil (Biological Science)|
|Martin Cadwallader (Graduate School)||LD Oakley (University Committee Appointee)|
|Laura A. Dunek (Associated Students of Madison)||Ken Potter (University Committee Appointee)|
|Jo Ellen Fair (University Committee Representative)||Gary Sandefur (Administrative Appointee)|
|Mark Seidenberg (Social Studies)||Ramon Aldag (University Committee Appointee)|
|Lea Jacobs(Arts and Humanities)||Jeff Shokler (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Jacquie Hitchon (University Committee Appointee)||Richard Straub (Physical Science)|
FROM: Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. (Chair)
RE: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 UAPC Meeting – 350 BASCOM HALL, 4:00 – 5:00pm
(Printable agenda in pdf format)
Your attendance is important. Please let me or Jocelyn Milner know if you will be late or absent.
1. Welcome, introductions, opening announcements. I’d like to express my appreciation for service to the University through UAPC participation by Laura Dunek, Jacquie Hitchon, Ron Kalil, Peter Lipton, Ken Potter, and Dick Straub who are completing their terms or who are leaving their terms early for other commitments. I’d like to extend a special thank you to Gary Sandefur who has served as the administrative appointee since 2005 when he became dean of the College of Letters & Science. Welcome to Jo Ellen Fair, who will serve as the new University Committee Representative.
2. Automatic Consent – Minutes of the May 9, 2013, meeting. UAPC Doc 2013.06.24.01
3. Automatic Consent – Two new Capstone Certificates that are related, the Capstone Certificate in Clinical Nutrition, and the Capstone Certificate in Clinical Nutrition – Dietetic Internship. The two certificates are similar but one of them includes a highly competitive internship that will not be available to all students who will want to participate in the didactic elements of the program. The certificates are housed in the Department of Nutritional Science, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences. The proposed programs were developed under the Educational Innovation initiative. The program faculty will be ready for the program to be implemented for development as soon as practical. They expect to enroll students in the program starting in Fall 2014. These proposals were approved at the May 10, 2013, Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. UAPC Doc 2013.06.24.02
4. Automatic Consent – Change in status of admissions for the Certificate in Specialist of Library and Information Studies, School of Library and Information Studies, College of Letters and Science. As an item of information, this certificate will change to a no-admissions status, although it will still be awarded to students who have enrolled in the PhD-Library and Information Studies and leave the PhD program after completing some post-master’s work. This action has been approved by the Graduate School. UAPC Doc 2013.06.24.03
5. Approval Item – Move the administrative and academic home of the undergraduate major, Molecular Biology, from the Institute for Biology Education to the Department of Zoology, College of Letters & Science. Presenters: Eric Wilcots, associate dean, Letters & Science; Kurt Amann, professor of Zoology; Janet Branchaw, director of the Institute for Biology Education. UAPC Doc 2013.06.24.04
6. Approval Item – Undergraduate-level Certificate in Pilates, Dance Department, School of Education. Presenters: David Rosenthal, associate dean, School of Education; Katherine (Kate) Corby, professor, Dance Department. UAPC Doc 2013.06.24.05
7. Classroom Space Utilization. Presenters: Alice Gustafson (director) and Nevin Olson, Administrative Process Redesign Project. One of the areas of review in Administrative Excellence was the utilization of instructional space. Given that “ownership” of classroom space utilization is distributed across multiple units, including Space Management, Enrollment Management, schools and colleges and departments, there has been no one locus to look at the entire view of instructional space. The Space Utilization Team, convened as one of five under the Administrative Excellence, has now completed reports from two working groups – the Instructional Space Inventory Project and the Space Utilization Review Project – and they are presented for discussion at this UAPC meeting. UAPC Doc 2013.06.24.06.
Meeting Schedule for 2013-14 (all meetings 3:30-5pm, 350 Bascom Hall)
September 19, October 24 (4th Thursday), November 21, December 19,
January 16, February 20, March 27 (4th Thursday),
April 17, May 8 (2nd Thursday),
June 23 (4th Monday).
Dates and agenda materials are posted at UAPC Meeting Dates and Deadlines for Submitting Material
Copies: Eric Wilcots, Jeff Hardin, Kurt Amann, Janet Branchaw, David Rosenthal, Jeff Hamm, Li Chiao-Ping, Katherine Corby, Alice Gustafson, Nevin Olson
Deans: Lori Berquam, Robert Golden, Mark Markel, Katharyn May, François Ortalo-Magné, Guido Podesta, Margaret Raymond, Paul Robbins, Jeanette Roberts, Ian Robertson, Jeff Russell, Soyeon Shim, Kathryn VandenBosch, Julie Underwood
Also: Teresa Adams, Joanne Berg, Joann Carr, Connie Chapman, Cathy Easter, Dan Edlebeck, Toni Good, Steve Hahn, Margaret Harrigan, Kelly Haslam, Clare Huhn, Phil Hull, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Sara Lazenby, Jennifer Martin (Grad School), Jocelyn Milner, Mo Noonan Bischof, Tim Norris, Chris Olsen, Scott Owczarek, Andrea Poehling, Rebecca R. Ring, Doug Rose, Wren Singer, Steve Stern, Damon Williams