DATE: June 18, 2012
TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2011-12
|David Ward (Chancellor)||Ron Kalil (Biological Sciences)|
|Martin Cadwallader (Graduate School)||LD Oakley (University Committee Appointee)|
|Laura A. Dunek (Associated Students of Madison)||Ken Potter (University Committee Appointee)|
|Linda Graham (University Committee Representative)||Gary Sandefur (Administrative Appointee)|
|Gary Green (Social Studies)||Dan Schaefer (University Committee Appointee)|
|Lea Jacobs (Arts and Humanities)||Jeff Shokler (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Jacquie Hitchon (University Committee Appointee)||Richard Straub (Physical Sciences)|
FROM: Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. (Chair)
RE: MONDAY JUNE 25, 2012 UAPC Meeting – 350 BASCOM HALL, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
1. Welcome, introductions, opening announcements.
2. Automatic Consent – Minutes of the May 17, 2012 meeting. UAPC Doc 2012.06.25.01
3. Approval Item – Undergraduate-level certificate in Engineering Thermal Energy Systems, Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering. Presenters: Steve Cramer, associate dean, College of Engineering; Sanford (Sandy) A. Klein, professor of Mechanical Engineering. UAPC Doc 2012.06.25.02
4. Approval Item – Joint Review of the MA-Gender and Women’s Studies, Department of Gender and Women’s Studies, College of Letters and Sciences. Presenter: Jacquie Hitchon, UAPC member and chair of the review committee. Jane Collins, professor and chair of Gender and Women’s Studies, was the program representative. This review was discussed and approved by GFEC at their February 10, 2012 meeting. The actions before the UAPC are to accept the review and to approve continuation of the program. UAPC Doc 2012.06.25.03, UAPC Doc 2012.06.25.04.
5. Approval Item – Joint Review of the Doctor of Audiology, Department of Communicative Disorders, College of Letters and Sciences. Presenter: Ken Potter, UAPC member and chair of the review committee. Ruth Litovsky, professor of Communicative Disorders and director of the Audiology program, is was the program representative. This review was discussed and approved by GFEC at their February 10, 2012 meeting. The actions before the UAPC are to accept the review and to approve continuation of the program. UAPC Doc 2012.06.25.05, UAPC Doc 2012.06.25.06.
DISCUSSION AND INFORMATION ITEMS
6. Annual Report – Annual report from the Undergraduate General Education Committee. Presenter: Elaine Klein, UGEC chair and assistant dean in the College of Letters and Science; Jim Wollack, chair of the UGEC assessment and research subcommittee and professor of Educational Psychology. UAPC Doc 2012.06.25.07.
7. Information Item – The certificate guidelines as approved earlier at the April UAPC meeting are posted and available to the University community. See Certificates.
8. Information Item – The guidelines for suspending or discontinuing degree/major programs approved at the May UAPC meeting are posted and available to the University community. See Majors, Options, and Degrees.
9. Information Item – The next meeting is scheduled for September 20, 2012. Although this is a year-round committee, currently we don’t have plans to meet in July or August. Jocelyn Milner will contact you if there is a need to schedule a meeting before September. Some tentative agenda items for 2012-13 include a review and restructuring of the policy and process associated with academic program approvals to align with changes being made at UW System and the Board of Regents, and to account for some new US Department of Education requirements.
10. Information Item – Thank you to UAPC members Gary Green and Daniel Schaefer who are completing their four-year terms. Thanks also to Linda Graham who is completing her one-year term as the University Committee member who serves on the UAPC. Finally, thanks to Jeff Shokler (ASEC appointee) and Laura Dunek (ASM appointee) who were appointed for 2011-12; we haven’t heard if they will be reappointed so we want to acknowledge their service in case they don’t return to the Council in the fall.
Meeting Schedule for 2012-13
September 20, October 18, November 15, December 20
January 17, February 21, March 21, April 28, May 15, June 24 (Monday)
Copies: Steve Cramer, Sanford Klein, Jane Collins, Ruth Litovsky, Dorothy Farrar-Edwards, Jim Wollack
Academic Deans and Directors: Lori Berquam, Gilles Bousquet, Daryl Buss, Robin Douthitt, Robert Golden, François Ortalo-Magné, Katharyn May, Gregg Mitman, Paul Peercy, Margaret Raymond, Jeanette Roberts, Jeff Russell, Katharyn Vandenbosch, Julie Underwood
Also: Teresa Adams, Joanne Berg, Aaron Brower, Connie Chapman, Toni Good, Karen Hanson, Margaret Harrigan, Kelly Haslam, Clare Huhn, Phil Hull, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Sara Lazenby, Kathleen Matthews-Risley, Rebecca R. Ring, Jocelyn Milner, David Musolf, Tim Norris, Scott Owczarek, Andrea Poehling, Doug Rose, Donna Silver, Steve Stern, Damon Williams