TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2013-14
|Rebecca Blank (Chancellor)||Herbert Chen (Biological Sciences)|
|Martin Cadwallader (Graduate School)||LD Oakley (University Committee Appointee)|
|Laura Dunek (Associated Students of Madison)||Seth Blair (University Committee Appointee)|
|Jo Ellen Fair (University Committee Representative)||John Karl Scholz (Administrative Appointee)|
|Mark Seidenberg (Social Studies)||Ramon Aldag (University Committee Appointee)|
|Robert (Rob) Glenn Howard (Arts and Humanities)||Jeff Shokler (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Darryl Thelen (University Committee Appointee)||Mark Eriksson (Physical Sciences)|
FROM: Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. (Chair)
RE: MONDAY June 23, 2014 UAPC Meeting – 350 BASCOM HALL, 3:00-5:00 pm
Your attendance is important. Please let me or Jocelyn Milner know if you will be late or absent.
1. Welcome, introductions, opening announcements. Thank you all for your service this year. This will be the last meeting for several of you, and I extend a special thanks to these Council members: Martin Cadwallader, Laura Dunek, Jo Ellen Fair, Rob Howard, Jeff Shokler.
2. Automatic Consent – Minutes of the May 8, 2014, meeting. UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.01
3. Endorse principles for implementation of automated declaration of certificates by undergraduates. UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.02
4. Establish a new center, the Center for Training in Pharmacology and Drug Development, to be housed in the School of Medicine and Public Health. Presenters: Richard Moss, associate dean, SMPH; Jon Audhya, professor of Biomolecular Chemistry. UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.03
5. Proposal for a new academic program, MS Biomedical Informatics, Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, School of Medicine and Public Health. Presenters: Richard Moss, associate dean, SMPH; Paul Rathouz, chair of BMI; Mark Craven, professor, BMI; Whitney Sweeney, graduate program coordinator. The proposal was endorsed at the June 6 Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. As noted in the dean’s cover letter, the two certificate programs in the department that are past due for review are now under review. UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.04
6. Discontinue the Certificate in French Studies for Business at the undergraduate level, Department of French and Italian, College of Letters and Science. Presenters: Susan Zaeske, associate dean; Patrick Rumble, department chair; Ritt Deitz, program director. UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.05
7. Establish a new Certificate in French at the undergraduate level, Department of French and Italian, College of Letters and Science. Presenters: Susan Zaeske, associate dean; Patrick Rumble, department chair; Ritt Deitz, program director. UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.05
8. Relocate the Department of Theatre and Drama from the College of Letters & Science to the School of Education. At this time, the Subject listing will also relocate as soon as practical to arrange. The effective date is July 1, 2014. Plans for transitions of the graduate and undergrad programs will be submitted to my office by November 1, 2014. Presenters: Ann Archbold, chair of Theatre and Drama; Patricia Boyette, acting chair of Theatre and Drama; Julie Underwood, dean of the School of Education; Karl Scholz, dean of Letters & Science. UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.06 (core proposal), UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.07 (selected appendices), UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.08 (full set of appendices provided online only, UAPC Meeting Dates and Deadlines for Submitting Material).
9. Suspend admissions to the academic programs in the Department of Languages and Cultures of Asia, College of Letters and Science. These programs are: BS/BA in Languages and Cultures of Asia; MA and PhD in Languages and Cultures of Asia. Presenters: Karl Scholz, dean of Letters and Science; Susan Zaeske, associate dean, L&S; Ellen Rafferty, chair of LCA. Suspension will be effective Fall 2014. We will ask that the College of Letters and Science provide a plan for next steps with these programs by December 1, 2015, as specified in the proposal. The proposal for the graduate program was approved at the June 6 GFEC meeting. UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.09
10. Close the Department of Hebrew and Semitic Studies, College of Letters and Science. Presenters: Karl Scholz, dean of Letters and Science; Susan Zaeske, associate dean, L&S. The closing will be effective no later than July 1, 2015 and the specific date will depend on implementation considerations. The proposal also includes a proposal to move the academic home of the MA/PhD in Hebrew and Semitic Studies to the Department of Classics, effective Fall 2014. This action was also approved at the June 6 GFEC meeting. (The UAPC already approved discontinuation of the BS/BA in Hebrew.) UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.10
11. Close the Subject listing Hebrew (code 440), associated with the department of Hebrew and Semitic Studies. Establish a new Subject listing, Hebrew-Biblical, in the Department of Classics. Also establish a new Subject listing, Hebrew-Modern, in the Center for Jewish Studies. These changes will collectively be effective for Fall 2015 or as soon thereafter as practical. (Note that the proposal to rename the Department of Classics referred to in the proposal is still under development.) Presenters: Karl Scholz, dean of Letters and Science; Susan Zaeske, associate dean, L&S. UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.11
12. Rename and reorganize the Institute for Biology Education (IBE) to WISCIENCE (Wisconsin Institute for Science Education and Community Engagement). Presenters: Chris Olsen, Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning; Janet Branchaw, director, IBE. UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.12
13. State of Wisconsin 30 Credit Transfer Rule and Agreement. The attached agreement was approved by the Board of Regents at the June 2014 Board meeting. I’m providing it for information and we’ll discuss it if time allows. UAPC Doc 2014.06.23.13
Meeting Schedule for Fall 2014, 3:30-5:00 pm : September 18, October 16, November 20, December 18
Agenda materials and policy documents are posted at: UAPC Meeting Dates and Deadlines for Submitting Material
Copies: Beth Warner, David Rosenthal, Ellen Rafferty, Patrick Rumble, Ritt Deitz, Susan Zaeske, Ann Archbold, Patricia Boyette, Ron Troxel, Janet Branchaw, Paul Rathouz, Mark Craven, Whitney Sweeney, Richard Moss, Anjon (Jon) Audhya
Deans: Lori Berquam, Robert Golden, Mark Markel, Katharyn May, François Ortalo-Magné, Guido Podesta, Margaret Raymond, Paul Robbins, Jeanette Roberts, Ian Robertson, Jeff Russell, Soyeon Shim, Kathryn VandenBosch, Julie Underwood
Also: Teresa Adams, Suzanne Broadberry, Heather Daniels, Cathie Easter, Toni Good, Steve Hahn, Margaret Harrigan, Kelly Haslam, Clare Huhn, William Heiss, Phil Hull, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Sara Lazenby, Jennifer Martin (Grad School), Jocelyn Milner, Mo Noonan Bischof, Tim Norris, Stephanie Olivas (for Herbert Chen), Chris Olsen, Scott Owczarek, Rebecca Ring (Admissions), Doug Rose, Patrick Sims, Wren Singer, Steve Stern, Beth Warner, Michelle Young.