DATE: June 14, 2010
TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2009-10
|Biddy Martin (Chancellor)||Jon McKenzie (Arts and Humanities)|
|Judith Burstyn (University Committee Representative)||Erik Paulson (Associated Students of Madison)|
|Martin Cadwallader (Graduate School)||Ken Potter (University Committee Appointee)|
|Chris DeMarco (Physical Sciences)||Mary Ray (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Lisa Forrest (University Committee Appointee)||Gary Sandefur (Administrative Appointee)|
|Gary Green (Social Sciences)||Dan Schaefer (University Committee Appointee)|
|Ron Kalil (Biological Sciences)||Wendy Way (University Committee Appointee)|
FROM: Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. (Chair)
RE: MONDAY, June 21, 2010 UAPC Meeting – 350 BASCOM HALL, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
1. Automatic Consent Item – Minutes of the May 20, 2010 meeting. Attachment 1
2. Discussion – Continuation of Course Guide Discussion. After the April UAPC discussion of the Course Guide, Ron Kalil raised some questions about access to information. Karen Hanson, Associate Registrar, and Nancy Lynch, Senior Legal Counsel, will attend to discuss this topic. Attachment 2
3. Discussion – Academic Misconduct Transcript Notations. Kevin Helmkamp, Associate Dean of Students, and Yolanda Garza, Assistant Dean of Students, will describe a proposal to add a transcript notation for academic misconduct. Karen Hanson will represent the Office of the Registrar. Attachment 3A. Attachment 3B.
4. Discussion – Low Enrollment Policy. In light of a new policy related to academic programs that award few degrees discussed at the June Board of Regents meeting, we will revisit the UAPC low-enrollment policy that we approved in April to consider aligning the UW-Madison policy with this new System-wide policy. Attachment 4A. Attachment 4B.
5. Member Transitions – Thanks to members whose terms are up at the end of this academic year: Judith Burstyn, Jon McKenzie, Wendy Way, Erik Paulson. Although terms are set, members do serve until their successor is appointed so these members may be invited back in the fall if no successor has been appointed. One new member has been appointed. We welcome Jacquie Hitchon, professor of Life Sciences Communication, who had been appointed to a three-year term on the UAPC to succeed Wendy Way. Attachment 5.
6. Thanks to committee chairs – Thanks to Jon McKenzie who served as the chair for the joint review committee of both the MFA in Creative Writing and the PhD in Second Language Acquisition and Christopher DeMarco who served as the chair for the joint review committee of the BS-Engineering Physics. Also, thanks to the members of the ad hoc committee formed to review the guidelines for centers and institutes: Judith Burstyn (chair), Elaine Klein, Mary Ray, Ron Kalil, Dan Schaefer.
7. Information Item – Guidelines for Dual Degrees with Foreign Universities. Attached for information are two documents drafted by Jocelyn Milner, director of Academic Planning and Analysis, for an ad hoc committee convened by Gilles Bousquet, dean of International Studies, to study dual and joint degrees. One document describes the modes of academic collaboration with foreign universities and the second is draft guidelines for establishing dual degrees. This will be an introductory discussion and we will continue the discussion in the fall. Attachment 6A. Attachment 6B.
8. Information Item – Summary of UAPC activity in 2009-10. Attachment 7.
9. Information Item – Request to deans for information for the annual 2009-10 program review report. Attachment 8.
Copies: Jacqueline Hitchon Sweeney, Nancy Lynch, Kevin Helmkamp, Yolanda Garza
Academic Deans and Directors: Lori Berquam, Gilles Bousquet, Daryl Buss, Kenneth Davis, Robin Douthitt, Robert Golden, Molly Jahn, Michael Knetter, Katharyn May, Gregg Mitman, Paul Peercy, Jeanette Roberts, Julie Underwood, Marv Van Kekerix.
Also: Teresa Adams, Bruce Beck, Joanne Berg, Aaron Brower, Dan Edlebeck, Toni Good, Margaret Harrigan, Clare Huhn, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Judith Kornblatt, Kathleen Matthews-Risley, Jocelyn Milner, David Musolf, Tim Norris, Doug Rose, Karen Hanson, Donna Silver, Steve Stern, Damon Williams
Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Wisconsin-Madison
150 Bascom Hall 500 Lincoln Drive Madison, WI 53706
608.262.1304 FAX: 608.265.3324