DATE: February 8, 2012
TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2011-12
|David Ward (Chancellor)||Ron Kalil (Biological Sciences)|
|Martin Cadwallader (Graduate School)||LD Oakley (University Committee Appointee)|
|Laura A. Dunek (Associated Students of Madison)||Ken Potter (University Committee Appointee)|
|Linda Graham (University Committee Representative)||Gary Sandefur (Administrative Appointee)|
|Gary Green (Social Studies)||Dan Schaefer (University Committee Appointee)|
|Stephen Hilyard (Arts and Humanities)||Vacant (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Jacquie Hitchon (University Committee Appointee)||Richard Straub (Physical Sciences)|
FROM: Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. (Chair)
RE: Thursday February 16, 2012 UAPC Meeting – 350 BASCOM HALL, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
1.Welcome, introductions, opening announcements.
2. Automatic Consent – Minutes of the December 15, 2011 meeting. UAPC Doc 2012.02.16.01
3. Automatic Consent – Merge and rename the graduate programs in the Department of Geoscience, specifically the MS/PhD in Geophysics and the MS/PhD in Geology, into a single graduate program under the name Geoscience. Department of Geoscience, College of Letters & Science. The following specific actions are proposed: 1. Discontinue the MS and the PhD major in Geophysics (major code 472); 2. Rename the MS and PhD major in Geology (major code 468) to Geoscience (keeping major code 468). This proposal was approved at the December 16, 2011 Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. UAPC Doc 2012.02.16.02.
4. Automatic Consent – Discontinue the MS-Therapeutic Science in the Department of Kinesiology, School of Education. The School of Education was asked to consider taking action on this program because it has been identified as low-enrollment. This action was approved at the December 16, 2011 Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. UAPC Doc 2012.02.16.03.
5. Automatic Consent – Establish a new formal named option, PhD-Human Ecology, Option: Civil Society and Community Research in the School of Human Ecology. This action was approved at the December 16, 2011 Graduate Faculty Executive Committee meeting. UAPC Doc 2012.02.16.04.
6. Automatic Consent – Rename the IceCube Center to the IceCube Particle Astrophysics Center. Graduate School. UAPC Doc 2012.02.16.05.
7. Approval Item – Establish a Center for Health Enhancement Systems Studies (CHESS), Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, College of Engineering. Presenters. Gerald Kulcinski, associate dean, College of Engineering; Vicki Bier, chair of the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering. This item was discussed at the June 2011 UAPC meeting. Discussion was favorable but the UAPC asked that a letter from CALS be included in the packet. That letter was provided in September. UAPC Doc 2012.02.16.06, UAPC Doc 2012.02.16.07.
8. Approval Item – Proposal to discontinue the BS-Medical Microbiology and Immunology program, Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine and Public Health. The academic home for the degree is the College of Letters & Science. Presenters: Rick Moss, associate dean, School of Medicine and Public Health, Rod Welch, chair of the Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology. L&S Dean Gary Sandefur will also be present. In May 2011, the UAPC endorsed a request to suspend admissions to the BS-MMI program and requested a follow-up report be submitted to the provost by February 1, 2012. That report and its recommendation to discontinue the program will be under consideration. UAPC Doc 2012.02.16.08.
9. Approval Item – Proposal to close the Department of Pharmacology in the School of Medicine and Public Health. Presenter: Rick Moss, associate dean, School of Medicine and Public Health. UAPC Doc 2012.02.16.09.
10. Discussion Item – Guidelines for suspending admissions or discontinuing active programs.
11. Information Item – Accreditation Policy Regarding Credit Hours. Andrea Poehling, Divisional Committees Coordinator, prepared the attached notification about the federal credit hour definition and I am sending it to you for information. Jocelyn Milner is the University’s liaison to the Higher Learning Commission and monitors changes related to our HLC accreditation. She can answer questions on this topic. UAPC Doc 2012.02.16.10.
12. Information Item – “Balance Sheet” of implementations, eliminations, and consolidations of academic programs, departments and centers. For information and discussion, I’ve attached a “balance sheet” report that shows have many programs have been added and eliminated since 1994. UAPC Doc 2012.02.16.11.
13. Information Item – Items for upcoming meetings include the annual report from the General Education Committee (April meeting), the five-year review of the MA-Gender and Women’s Studies (chaired by Jacquie Hitchon), the five-year review of the Doctor of Audiology (chaired by Ken Potter), the five year review of the MS-Occupational Therapy (chaired by LD Oakley), discussion of the draft guidelines for certificates, and a report on the review of centers.
Copies: Vicki Bier, Steve Cramer, Gerald Kulcinski, Dorothy Farrar-Edwards, Brad Singer, Wendy Way, Rod Welch, Richard Moss
Academic Deans and Directors: Lori Berquam, Gilles Bousquet, Daryl Buss, Robin Douthitt, Robert Golden, François Ortalo-Magné, Katharyn May, Gregg Mitman, Paul Peercy, Margaret Raymond, Jeanette Roberts, Jeff Russell, Bill Tracy, Julie Underwood
Also: Teresa Adams, Bruce Beck, Joanne Berg, Aaron Brower, Connie Chapman, Toni Good, Karen Hanson, Margaret Harrigan, Kelly Haslam, Clare Huhn, Phil Hull, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Sara Lazenby, Kathleen Matthews-Risley, Jocelyn Milner, David Musolf, Tim Norris, Scott Owczarek, Andrea Poehling, Doug Rose, Donna Silver, Steve Stern, Damon Williams
Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
150 Bascom Hall University of Wisconsin-Madison 500 Lincoln Drive Madison, Wisconsin 53706
608.262.1304 Fax: 608.265.3324