DATE: December 10, 2009
TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2009-10
|Biddy Martin (Chancellor)||Jon McKenzie (Arts and Humanities)|
|Judith Burstyn (University Committee Representative)||Erik Paulson (Associated Students of Madison)|
|Martin Cadwallader (Graduate School)||Ken Potter (University Committee Appointee)|
|Chris DeMarco (Physical Sciences)||Mary Ray (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Lisa Forrest (University Committee Appointee)||Gary Sandefur (Administrative Appointee)|
|Gary Green (Social Sciences)||Dan Schaefer (University Committee Appointee)|
|Ron Kalil(Biological Sciences)||Wendy Way (University Committee Appointee)|
FROM: Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. (Chair)
RE: Thursday, December 17 UAPC Meeting – 350 BASCOM HALL, 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
1. Automatic Consent Item – Minutes of the September 17, 2009 meeting. Attachment 1.
2. Approval – Mayrent Institute for Yiddish Culture. Presenters: Pamela Potter, Director, Mosse / Weinstein Center for Jewish Studies ; Gary Sandefur, Dean, College of Letters and Science. Attachment 2.
3. Discussion – Annual report from the Undergraduate General Education Committee. Presenter: Nancy Westphal-Johnson, chair of the UGEC and associate dean, Letters & Science. Attachment 3.
4. Discussion – Annual report from the University Assessment Council. Presenter: Mo Noonan-Bischof, co-chair of the University Assessment Council and assistant provost. Attachment 4.
5. Discussion –Centers and Institutes. According to UAPC guidelines, a review of the centers list is to be conducted every five years and that review will be initiated from my office in the spring semester. At the meeting we will discuss the current guidelines. I will be convening a small working group to draft revised guidelines, and I will be looking for three UAPC members to volunteer for that working group. Attachment 5 (current guidelines), Attachment 6 (Centers list), Attachment 7 (report of 2004 review of the center’s list), Attachment 8 (2004 request to deans to review the centers list).
6. Discussion – Recap of UAPC membership issues from 2008-09. Attachment 9.
7. Automatic Consent Item – MS program in Statistics, named Option: Biostatistics. This action is for the record and corrects an oversight on the June 9, 2008 agenda. The option was formally approved for the PhD in Statistics, but the MS approval, which was included in the materials, was mistakenly left off the agenda, the minutes, and reports for implementation even though the proposal clearly requested the option for both the MS and the PhD.
8. Information Item – Final Report of the Higher Learning Commission Reaccreditation Site Team Visit. Attachment 10.
9. Information Item – Discontinuation of a Subject Listing: Agricultural Library, in CALS. Attachment 11.
10. The agenda for the January 21, 2010 UAPC meeting will focus on program review and will include the following discussion items: 1) annual report on program review, 2) review of revised program review guidelines, 3) review of revised joint review guidelines.
Copies: Pamela Potter, Nancy Westphal-Johnson, Mo Noonan-Bischof, Nancy Mathews
Academic Deans and Directors: Lori Berquam, Gilles Bousquet, Daryl Buss, Kenneth Davis, Robin Douthitt, Robert Golden, Irwin Goldman, Michael Knetter, Katharyn May, Gregg Mitman, Paul Peercy, Jeanette Roberts, Julie Underwood, Marv Van Kekerix.
Also: Teresa Adams, Bruce Beck, Joanne Berg, Aaron Brower, Toni Good, Margaret Harrigan, Clare Huhn, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Judith Kornblatt, Kathleen Matthews-Risley, Jocelyn Milner, David Musolf, Tim Norris, Doug Rose, Karen Hanson, Donna Silver, Steve Stern, Damon Williams
Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Wisconsin-Madison
150 Bascom Hall 500 Lincoln Drive Madison, WI 53706
608.262.1304 FAX: 608.265.3324