DATE: April 13, 2011
TO: UAPC MEMBERS 2010-11
|Biddy Martin (Chancellor)||Jacquie Hitchon (University Committee Appointee)|
|Susan Babcock (University Committee Representative)||Ron Kalil (Biological Sciences)|
|Martin Cadwallader (Graduate School)||Erik Paulson (Associated Students of Madison)|
|Chris DeMarco (Physical Sciences)||Ken Potter (University Committee Appointee)|
|Lisa Forrest (University Committee Appointee)||Mary Ray (Academic Staff Appointee)|
|Gary Green (Social Sciences)||Gary Sandefur (Administrative Appointee)|
|Jon McKenzie (Arts and Humanities)||Dan Schaefer (University Committee Appointee)|
FROM: Paul M. DeLuca, Jr. (Chair)
RE: Thursday April 21, 2011 UAPC Meeting – 350 BASCOM HALL, 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
1. Automatic Consent Item – Minutes of the March 24, 2011 meeting. UAPC Doc 2011.04.21.01.
2. Approval Item – Certificate in Professional Japanese, Department of East Asian Languages and Literature. Presenters: Junko Mori, professor and chair of the Department of East Asian Languages and Literature, Gary Sandefur, dean of the College of Letters and Science. UAPC Doc 04.21.02
3. Policy Discussion – Program Review Annual Report. Jocelyn Milner, director of Academic Planning and Analysis, prepared the attached annual report on program review as a basis for our discussion. The full 2010 Program Review Guidelines are posted on line if you want to review them in advance of the meeting (Program Review Guidelines) UAPC Doc 2011.04.21.03.
4. Policy Discussion – UAPC and Public Authority Planning. UAPC members Gary Green and Lisa Forrest have agreed to serve as a sub-group to work with Jocelyn Milner to do preparatory work for planning for UAPC policy changes if public authority is approved for UW-Madison. I’d like to have some preliminary discussion of that topic at this UAPC meeting. The overview chart of approval is attached as a starting point. This chart shows which actions are advanced to UW System Administration and the Board of Regents. UAPC Doc 2011.04.21.04.
5. Policy Discussion – Definition and Criteria for Service Learning. Presenter: Nancy Mathews, director of the Morgidge Center for Public Service and professor of Environmental Studies. Prof. Mathews is requesting that the UAPC endorse the proposed definition and criteria for service learning. Specifically the request is to endorse the content of Appendix A (definition, criteria, and models) and Appendix B (process) of the proposal. UAPC Doc 2011.04.21.05. UAPC Doc 2011.4.21.05_supplement
6. Information Item – Course Subject Listing Guidelines. The current guidelines for approving Course Subject Listings were approved by the UAPC in 2005. Since that time, there have been many changes, including the demise of the printed Timetable, which renders some of the language in the guidelines obsolete. Jocelyn Milner, director of Academic Planning and Analysis, undertook an administrative revision of the guidelines to reflect contemporary language without changing the policy elements. The edited policy is attached. Unless there are objections, after this UAPC meeting the revised version will replace the 2005 version. UAPC Doc 2011.04.21.06.
Copies: Junko Mori, Nancy Mathews
Academic Deans and Directors: Lori Berquam, Gilles Bousquet, Daryl Buss, Jim Campbell, Kenneth Davis, Robin Douthitt, Robert Golden, Katharyn May, Gregg Mitman, Paul Peercy, Jeanette Roberts, Joan Schmit, Bill Tracy, Julie Underwood
Also: Teresa Adams, Bruce Beck, Joanne Berg, Aaron Brower, Toni Good, Karen Hanson, Margaret Harrigan, Kelly Haslam, Clare Huhn, Eden Inoway-Ronnie, Elaine Klein, Sara Lazenby, Kathleen Matthews-Risley, Jocelyn Milner, David Musolf, Tim Norris, Scott Owczarek, Doug Rose, Donna Silver, Steve Stern, Damon Williams
Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Wisconsin-Madison
150 Bascom Hall 500 Lincoln Drive Madison, WI 53706
608.262.1304 FAX: 608.265.3324