Academic Planning and Institutional Research (APIR) is a unit of the Office of the Provost that:
- Supports strategic, academic, and budgetary planning and decision-making through analytics, including the presentation and distribution of relevant and timely information, policy analyses, peer comparisons, and projections of future trends,
- Prepares comparative analyses of UW-Madison to peer institutions as a context for planning and decision-making, policy development, and review,
- Responds to internal and external requests for analytic information about UW-Madison’s academic people, programs, structures, and curriculum,
- Coordinates the governance activity of the University Academic Planning Council (UAPC) and the University Curriculum Committee (UCC), which together touch every course, curricular and program proposal (new and change proposals), and oversee program review and academic policy development; coordinates and oversees Lumen,
- Facilitates the flow of information regarding academic-related governance processes among the Provost’s Office, UW System Administration and Board of Regents, and UW-Madison administrative offices,
- Builds relationships with external organizations, agencies, and vendors to expand the data resources available to the University
Allison La Tarte
Interim Associate Vice Provost for Academic Planning and Institutional Research
Vice Provost for Academic Affairs
Jocelyn is transitioning out of the role of director of APIR effective January 1 2022. She will continue to work on selected special projects in Spring 2022, and will retire from UW-Madison in Summer 2022.
Jocelyn will continue to lead UW-Madison’s participation in the APLU Powered by Publics project. She is a member of the APLU-CIMA Executive Committee and chairs the 2022 CIMA Summer Meeting Programs Committee. Jocelyn will continue as UW-Madison’s accreditation liaison officer to the Higher Learning Commission and will begin preparations for the 2023 HLC Assurance Review.
Selected Recent Activity
eAIR Newsletter: Making Dollars and Sense of the Value of Higher Education, Jocelyn Milner, David Troutman, Karen Vance, Shannon Lee, October 2021
eAIR Newsletter: Data Sources for Post-Graduation Outcomes, Jocelyn Milner and Gary Aguaryo, October 2021
eAIR Newsletter: A Model for Complex Governance of a Business Intelligence Tool: University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Tableau Server Environment, Jocelyn Milner and McKinney Austin, July 2021
APLU Powered by Publics: The Big 10 Cluster: Exploring Foundational Course DFW Rates, Equity Gaps, and Progress to Degree, Kate Michaels and Jocelyn Milner, Learning Memo – May 2021; Webinar – July 2021
AIR Annual Forum: Value of A College Degree: Alumni Earnings Data and their Uses, Jocelyn Milner, David Troutman, Karen Vance, Shannon Lee, May 2021
HLC Annual Meeting Invited Panelist: Institutional Diversity in Peer Review-Large Public Research Universities, April 2021
RTM Higher Education Congress Invited Panel Leader: Leading in a Time of COVID-19 Disruption-Academic Continuity, August 2020
College Board’s Higher Education Colloquium Invited Panelist: Student Outcomes and the Value of Higher Education, January 2020
APLU Degree Completion Award Nomination, Award Finalist 2020: APLU announcement, press release, full application
For more information see Jocelyn’s LinkedIn profile.