Faculty Compensation Information
APIR is UW-Madison's resource for faculty salary and compensation information. Regular reports include faculty salaries by department (scatterplots and related data) and faculty salary peer comparisons at the institutional and department levels.
APIR consults with senior university leaders, including the provost, chancellor, and vice chancellor for administration, faculty governance groups, the Office of Human Resources, the Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff, and others, to contextualize data, and perform analyses to inform decision making and to support policy development and policy review.
Faculty Salaries at UW-Madison
Faculty salary information is provided to UW-Madison departments to assist in salary setting. Analyses are also conducted to support discussions among campus leaders and governance groups associated with policy development or review.
- Faculty Salaries by Department (Scatterplots) - The scatterplots are a graphical display of faculty salaries by department. The salary data is also provided. This information is considered personnel information and access is restricted to deans, department chairs, and their designees.
- Compression of Faculty Salaries At UW-Madison - In 2009, APIR provided several analyses to the Faculty Compensation Commission in support of their study of salary compression.
- Analysis of the Impact of Pay Tools on Faculty Salaries, 2009-2014 - This report summarizes the impact on faculty salaries of five pay tools (high demand, increased promotion amounts, post-promotion market adjustments, compression-equity adjustments, and critical compensation fund).
Faculty Salary Peer Comparisons
- 2016-17 Comparison of Average Faculty Salaries at UW-Madison and Peer Universities - These comparisons are based on the Association of American University Professors (AAUP) "Annual Report on the Economic Status of the Profession" for 2016-17. Attached tables provide 2016-17 average salary figures and percentage increases in average salaries for UW-Madison and the universities in our official faculty salary peer group.
- 2015-16 Faculty Salaries at Peer Universities, by Department - Tabulations of average faculty salaries compared to peer universities, may be accessed only by deans, department chairs, and their designees. Access requires a valid username and password. This information is shared by peer institutions for limited confidential use.